5 Of The Deadliest Weather Disasters Of 2015

A new disaster report from the United Nations found that weather-related catastrophes over the past 10 years have occurred almost daily — nearly twice as often as they did two decades ago.

The report released Monday, titled “The Human Cost of Weather Related Disasters, “ concluded that over the past two decades, 90 percent of disasters were tied to “floods, storms, heat wave and other weather-related events.” The remaining 10 percent were “geophysical” catastrophes, including earthquakes and volcanoes.

While the study writers say the “jury’s out”on whether the rise in weather events is connected to climate change, many climatologists agree that a warming atmosphere exacerbates the severity of some climate catastrophes.

Below are some 2015 ‘s deadliest climate catastrophes 😛 TAGEND

Heat wave in India

Pacific Press via Getty Images

A heat wave in India in May killed about 2, 500 people, UN data proves, largely in the southern nations of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. With temperatures hovering around 120 degrees Fahrenheit for days, it’s been declared the fifth-deadliest heat wave on record.

Many of the victims who died from dehydration and hot strokewere poor farmers and construction workers who couldn’t afford to stop working outdoors despite the threats, as well as elderly people living in poverty.

The brutalizing heat melted asphalt in New Delhi, photos indicated, turning road differentiates into a swirling mess.

In the photo above, taken during the heat wave, overheated passengers waiting for a develop at Allahabad junction lay under the platform’s tint.

Heat wave in Pakistan

ASSOCIATED PRESS

A heat wave in Pakistan, only weeks after the deadly one in neighboring India, killed 1, 229 people in June, mainly in the southern port city of Karachi, UN data proves. Some estimates on the death toll from Pakistan were slightly higher.

Pictured above, Pakistanis attend a funeral in Karachi for unclaimed people killed by the insufferable hot. Temperatures as high as 113 degrees Fahrenheit sent more than 65,000 heatstroke patients to hospitals.

The heat wave, The Associated Press noted, struck during Ramadan, during which the the city’s Muslim majority observes dawn-to-dusk fasting.

Floods and landslides exacerbated by Cyclone Komen

ASSOCIATED PRESS/ Khin Maung Win

Heavy monsoon rains become worse by Tropical Cyclone Komen in August killed at least 493 people and displaced millions in six Asian countries, The Weather Channel reported. The devastating climate event brought more than three feet of rain to parts of Bangladesh and Myanmar, and triggered deadly flooding in Pakistan, India, Nepal and Vietnam over 2 week.

The flooding was so bad in India, it derailed two trains carrying up to 1,600 passengers and killed dozens, CNN reported.

In the photo above, a son swimming southwest of Yangon, Myanmar, accepts food from people handing out gifts.

Flooding in Malawai

ASSOCIATED PRESS/ Thoko Chikondi

Flooding in Malawi in January claimed 276 lives, UN data depicts, and forced President Peter Mutharika to proclaim half of the densely populated country a disaster zone.

Nearly a quarter-million people in Malawi were affected, including 230,000 injured, according to data collected by The Guardian. The floods ravaged about 158,000 acres of land and were estimated to have expensed the nation about $51 million in damage.

In the photo above, family members wait outside their home for relief teams in the southern district of Chikwawa, Malawi.

Flooding in Chile

ASSOCIATED PRESS/ Aton Chile, Marcelo Hernandez, File

Highly unusual floods in Chile’s Atacama desert in March left 178 dead, UN reports prove. The Weather Channel describing him as “over 14 years’ worth of rain in 24 hours” and said the flooding was the most extraordinary climate event so far in 2015.

Chile President Michelle Bachelet said the damage would total at least $1.5 billion in the region, which is typically one of the driest places in the world.

In the photo above, a woman in Copiapo, the capital of the Atacama Region, rests on a mattress on a street overcome by mud and floodwaters.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *